No. 10, Fall 2015
Visit the ukulele’s spiritual home, Hawaii, with a special section that features rising star Taimane Gardner; an Oahu adventure that includes lunch with Eddie Kamae; five up-and-coming players to watch; Jake Shimabukuro tackles Byron Yasui’s new ukulele concerto; five classic, must-have Hawaiian uke albums; and a look at the four K’s building some of the Islands finest instruments. Plus learn how Marco Maccaferri revolutionized the uke scene; check out photos from the West Coast Ukulele Retreat; and discover a hula-dancing uke club in LA. New gear from KoAloha, Ohana, and the Goodtime Banjo Uke; and new albums from Kimo Hussey, Gerald Ross, and Bryan Tolentino and Herb Ohta Jr.
- Learn to apply clawhammer techniques to ukulele
- Fretboard Domination: a guide to four basic moveable dominant chords
Learn to Play:
- Travis pick the pop hit "Marry Me" by Train
- "Dallas Rag" the Dallas String Band
- “Na Pana `Elua (The Two Heartbeats)” by Daniel Ho